All you need to know about VYAPAM SCAM
How VYAPAM is becoming India’s Largest Recruitment Scandal?
VYAPAM scam is a massive admission and recruitment scam related to medical seats in the state of Madhya Pradesh. The scam involves a large number of politicians, officials and businessmen. The scam related to pre –medical test first reported in 2009 and exploded in the year 2015. The affected parents of students filed a petition in the Indore bench in MP high court. Acting on the petition the MP high court issued notices to MPPEB, MCI. The high court bench order formation of an STF to probe the issue. The prime accused in the scam is Dr. Jadish Sagar was arrested and sent to jail. Then the STF tracked and arrested more ruling party members including ex. Minister and Pankaj Trivedi,Nitin Mahendra, Ajay Sen and C.K.Mishra all officials of MPPEB. The petitioner who exposed the large scam is Dr. Anand Rai, an Indore based medical practitioner.
The admission scam is called biggest in the history of the MP. Along with STF, the central agencies like ED. Both STF and ED have arrested so far 720 parents, students and 129 officials, politicians related to the scam.
MPPEB stands for Madhya Pradesh Professional Examination Board or VYAPAM. It is created in the year 1970 to conduct entrance exams for medical seats. In the year 1981 the board was split into two one to conduct entrance exams for admission to Engineering seats and another for medical seats. In 1982, the name was changed to MPPEB and brought under its control the admissions for medical and engineering seats.
The main responsibility of the MPPEB is to conduct exams for medical and engineering admissions apart from filling up of vacancies in the state. One has to pass the entrance test to get admission to medical and engineering. The courses have been recognized by AICTE, MCI and NCTE.
The trail of the scam
- Dr. Anand Rai, an Indore based medical professional exposed the scam in the year 2013. He has unearthed several scams in the past. In the pre-medical test in 2013, many students got seats in various medical colleges in the state through forged documents. The case was first reported in 2004, according to Dr. Rai.
- Then senior police officials registered a case related to Pre- medical test 2013. The police tracked the case and landed in the house of Pankaj Trivedi. He is the controller of the MP, VYAPAM. From his house the police recovered a list of 317 suspected candidates. Police then arrested him despite his political backings.
- The crime branch of the Indore police on July 6 and 7 has arrested 20 persons who wrote the exams under impersonation. Out of 20 candidates, 17 were from UP and rest from MP.
- The government officials swung into action and at a meeting in 2013 discussed the scam. The officials expressed their surprise how the accused acted shrewdly. Officials found no records on the shadowing done on Dr. Sagar who was arrested in a case in 2003. The government officials admitted several lapses in the PMT-2013.
- In the same year the STF has unearthed another scam involving VYAPAM officials in the recruitment to fill vacancies in the state. More FIR’s were registered and 153 people were arrested, including Sushi Sharma considered close to MP CM Shivraj Singh Chauhan. Earlier CBI has conducted inquiries into his role in mining scam. In 2013, the SIT has filed an additional charge Sheet in the case against 34 persons in the Indore district court.
- In April 2014, 27 students were expelled from a medical college for securing admission through fake means.
- On April 2014, the STF in a press release over 100 students were arrested in the case and more arrests will follow. All the arrested cleared the PMT -2013.
- Further questioning of Dr. Sagar and Mohit Chaudhary in September 2014, the STF unearthed another scam. This involves filling up of vacancies in banks. Many candidates who passed the tests through forged documents failed to clear the personal interview.
The candidates used the following methods to write the exams
- Engine and bogie system
- Replacing of answer sheets
In the court the VYAPAM officials admitted the appearance of and missing of some forms. They further told the court that 1120 students have taken the exam and their forms were missing. The officials admit the tampering of their forms by Nitin Mahendra s systems analyst. So far, STF has filed charge sheet against 28 and booked them under 3292 offenses. The charge-sheet is attached with 92.176 documents which tell the seriousness of the scam.
List of arrested persons in the scam
Dr. Vinod Bhandari
Dr. Jagdish Sagar
Animesh Akash Singh
Narendra dev Azad
The men who exposed the scam
Dr. Anand Rai a medical professional from Indore
Ashish Chaturvedi an RTI activist
Prashant Pandey a forensic expert
The sting is due to the insufficient health care, corruption and red tapes
The state is considered poor among Indian states in providing affordable health care to all. The fees in state run medical colleges are low compared to the high fees in private medical colleges. The Post Graduate Doctors get more income and parents are willing to offer bribes to get medical seats.
Since the scam involves officials and politicians, the opposition has quickly to seize the issue. The main opposition party in the state congress accused the state CM of his involvement and demanded his resignation. The ruling party BJP denied the allegation and the blame game is continuing now.
The scam has claimed 24 unnatural deaths and still counting during the investigation. Among them are VIPs, officials and accused students.
Dr. D K Sakalley
Dr. Narendra Singh Tomar
Ramendra Singh Bhadoria
Dr. Rajendra Arya
and 25 others ..